Cup Match Report:
Longwell Records v Axbridge Saxons


Cup Round 2


Longwell Records


Axbridge Saxons


------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------

Match Reports

Longwell Records Report;

"Longwell Records 2 (Brain C 25 & Slocombe 71) Axbridge Saxons 2 HT 1-0 Att: 5 3-4 Saxons on Pens Longwell crashed out of the Cup at the 2nd round stage after a heartbreaking defeat on penalties. Chris Brain scored a wonder goal to put Well ahead in the first half, but then an injury to Luke Price meant a reshuffle at the back. After the break Saxons scored two quick fire goals to take the lead. Slocombe scored to level matters and take the tie to penalties. Nick Lewis and Simon Bracey both missed their spot kicks and Well exited the competition."

Axbridge Saxons Report:

" Saxons started well passing the ball confidently but disaster struck 15 mins in when Ollie G (on his return to football after a 3 year absence) twisted his knee when falling under a challenge that resulted in him being carried from the pitch & unable to continue. Michael "Buzz" Ebblewhite came off the bench in his stead. Unfortunately this was Saxons only substitute so for the remaining 75 mins Saxons had a bare 11 whereas their opposition were able to make frequent changes to freshen up their team. The short pitch was causing Saxons issues with their last pass or shot just not quite getting there or in the right place. The chances that were created were good 1's though & we should have gone into half time at least 3-1 up. The only shot on goal that Longwell had in the 1st half was 1 of great quality from 25 yards out that nestled into the top corner, with Hopkins in goal no chance & we went in 1-0 down. We started the 2nd half on the offensive & equalised early with a slide rule ball from Ian "Billy" Wait through to Bugler who FINALLY put 1 away. We then went 2-1 up fairly soon afterwards when Chip finished well. Fitness then became an issue for Saxons with the game being stretched & the opposition being able to call on some fresh legs that we didn't have. Inevitably an equaliser was found by Longwell & despite a few chances for each team to win it late on the game reached 90 mins @ 2-2 & therefore went to penalties with Lawes, Holmes, Wait & Bugler all scoring with the only unfortunate miss coming from Chip but Hopkins in goal made a couple of great saves to send Town through to the next round 4-3 on penalties."