Match Report
Recliners FC v Nailsea Vets 45's


League Division 6


Recliners FC


Nailsea Vets 45's


------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------

Match Reports

Recliners FC Report;

"In a scrappy game played on a beautiful pitch at Wick FC, Recliners and Nailsea battled each other to a standstill and it looked certain to end as a classic 0-0 bore draw. Quality was in short supply, but there was plenty of effort and in the first half Nailsea had one glorious chance when Gossy in the Recliners net punched the ball into the ground and it looped back just over the bar. The second half featured few chances, a moment of handbags which saw 2 players asked to leave the field and a disallowed goal for Nailsea that was offside. Then in the last minute of the game Matt D put in a perfect cross that Toby headed beyond the Nailsea keeper for the winner. Apart from the handbags, the game was played in good spirit throughout and even that incident was forgotten as we all went for a swift drink at the Rose and Crown. It was a cruel end to the game for Nailsea, a draw would have been right, but we'll look forward to the return fixture later in the season. "

Nailsea Vets 45's Report:

" Nailseas’ first league game of the season against Recliners turned out to be a scrappy affair with a sucker punch in the dying seconds. For long periods the quality of football didn’t quite match up to the quality of the pitch (a late change of venue at Wicks superb ground). Few chances were created by either side but Nailsea did come close in the first half when Mark Evans rose to meet Hendo’s corner only to see his strong header superbly saved by Recliners keeper and the resulting rebound somehow make its way over the bar. The game was generally played in the right spirit and the referee was a stickler for the rules so everyone was kept in check; until an unfortunate incident 20 minutes from full time when two players lost their cool with one another after a foul was awarded to Nailsea on the edge of the Recliners box. Both players were substituted and asked not to return onto the pitch. Nailsea were down to 10 men for the last 5 minutes and the game looked certain to be heading for a 0-0 draw…..but then the sucker punch. Into the last-minute and a cross came in from Recliners on the right hand side to reach their player towards the back post who met the ball with a glancing header to direct the ball into the bottom left corner of the net. Nailsea were gutted and Recliners were jubilant when the ref blew the full time whistle only 30 seconds later. Apologies to Recliners for the incident but good to see the players shaking hands afterwards. With the new league structure at least we have a chance to reverse the result next time we meet. "