Match Report
Nailsea Vets 45's v St Brendans OB RFC


League Division 6


Nailsea Vets 45's


St Brendans OB RFC


------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------

Match Reports

Nailsea Vets 45's Report;

"A game of two halves. The first was relatively even although Nailsea started brightly and held the ball well with some good passing moves. After a neat interchange Mark Evans was clear through and fired home to put Nailsea ahead after 20 minutes. St Brendan’s levelled after their long throw merchant had Nailsea challenging for the high ball in front of goal only for the ball to drop to an unmarked St Brendan’s player who drilled the ball into the net through a crowd of players. Unfortunately for St Brendan’s the same long throw specialist had to leave the pitch and head straight off to hospital with what we all suspected as an achilles injury from an innocuous incident. We wish him well for a speedy recovery. The second half began evenly with neither team testing the keepers for the first 15 minutes but Nailsea finally broke the deadlock as Jerry Randall timed his run behind the defence to find himself 1 on 1 with the St Brendan’s keeper who advanced well out of his penalty area. Jerry chipped the ball perfectly towards the empty net but the keeper instinctively raised his hands to push the ball away. The referee had no choice but to award a red card but with St Brendan’s down to a bare 11 players Nailsea agreed to allow the keeper to remain on the pitch and St Brendan’s agreed to allow what would have been a certain goal. Jerry was back on the score sheet to make it 3-1 as he met a superb cross in from Munch on the left to head home. A fourth followed a great passing move that resulted in a neat one two between Alex and Rich with Rich calmly slotting the ball into the net from close range. Another confident passing move down the right and Nailsea moved the ball to Jerry on the edge of the box who set up Munch for a low drive into the bottom left hand corner of the goal from the edge of the box to make it 5-1. Ali served up chicken curry and chips at Sawyers which we enjoyed with some of the St Brendan’s players and we reflected on a few missed chances in the first half but enjoyed a pint to celebrate our first win of the season. "

St Brendans OB RFC Report:

" Thanks for the post match hospitality and letting our keeper stay on the pitch following the handball outside the area. Luke has a ruptured achilles so that could be the end for him sadly. It was even until we lost him but that gave us the bare 11 and then we lost one more with a hamstring and our striker couldn't move having hurt his back helping carry Luke off the pitch. Not our day but well done to Nailsea for the quality of their play and Corinthian attitude. "