Match Report
St Brendans OB RFC v Nailsea Vets 45's


League Division 6


St Brendans OB RFC


Nailsea Vets 45's


------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------

Match Reports

St Brendans OB RFC Report;

"We lost."

Nailsea Vets 45's Report:

" Finally the season was up and running with an away fixture against St Brendan’s. After 5 minutes we lost our first player to injury, (David C) who pulled up with a back strain so our new recruit to the squad this season, Gary Roberts was called into action sooner than expected. Early play was reasonably even but just as St Brendan’s seemed to be dominating for a short spell, Andy Povey ran onto a through ball only to be taken down in the penalty area. Gary Himsworth struck the resulting penalty firmly and wide of the keepers reach to give us a 1-0 lead. St Brendan’s equalised after a corner wasn’t dealt with by Nailsea defence and a ricochet off our own player resulted in an own goal. 1-1. St Brendan’s could have taken a comfortable lead but for the heroics of Nailsea keeper Lee McGreevy who denied 2 clear chances. We took the lead again when a wonderfully struck 20 yard free kick from Andy White found the top right hand corner. 2-1 at halftime. The initial period of the second half was evenly contested but St Brendan’ s levelled the score when their star player (Pete) ran onto a through ball from midfield and calmly drilled his shot past our advancing keeper. Andy White bagged his second, nudging the ball over the line as St Brendan’s keeper spilled the ball at his feet to restore our lead to 3-2. It felt as though more goals could come from either side and with 25 minutes to play we felt as though we may have done enough to secure the win with a brilliantly worked free kick. Andy White shaped to drill another long range strike but instead stepped across the ball for Jerry Randall to curve a delightful ball into the 6 yard box. Pete Overton was first to react as he glanced a low header into the far corner of the net. The final 20 minutes were all St Brendan’s as they pushed forward and again Lee McGreevy in goal for Nailsea was called upon to keep the 2 goal margin. As St Brendan’s pushed forward late into the game, a long clearance from Lee McGreevy sailed over the St Brendan’s defence. Andy Povey, our top goal scorer last season was keen to notch his first and as he ran onto the ball he just beat the St Brendan’s keeper to it in time to flick it into the net for a 5th a minute before the final whistle. The referee was excellent although neither team gave him reason to dish out any discipline. Both teams played hard and fair. Good luck to St Brendan’s for the rest of the season."