Match Report
Nailsea Vets 45's v Chew Magna 45's


League Division 6


Nailsea Vets 45's


Chew Magna 45's


------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------

Match Reports

Nailsea Vets 45's Report;

"An early phone call between managers and the decision was made to play the match on the 4G surface despite the bitter cold, wind and snow. As a result both teams regularly utilised their subs to prevent frost bite on the touch line. The first half was largely a game fought in midfield with very few chances for either team but with a couple of minutes to go in the first half a clear handball in the box gifted Chew a penalty and a chance to break the deadlock. Not the most well taken penalty hit low to Lee McGreevys left, but not wide enough to prevent Lee saving relatively easily. With the first half whistle imminent Nailsea broke with the ball falling to Andy Osborne who fired past the Chew keeper. 1-0. Nailsea played some attractive football throughout the game but especially in the second half with Rich Lucas particularly influential in the centre. Nailsea began to create more openings and were rewarded with a second goal by Rich. Mark Forbes notched a third; clearly a fluke as he shouted "ahhh shite" for a cross from the right that was way off target for our advancing forwards but luckily looped over the keepers head into the far corner. Chew seemed to loose some shape after this and Nailsea found more time and space on the ball. 3 more goals before the end (Mark Wright, Rich - his second, and Neil Bewley) resulted in a convincing win. Chew won a consolation goal resulting from their keeper heading up field to drive a great strike onto the bar. The rebound fell to a Chew player who tucked in the rebound. Both teams returned to Sawyers for a post match pint, some good banter and delicious foo.....ooops sorry; someone cancelled the food order! Good to see both teams respecting the rules on age limits for the 45's league."

Chew Magna 45's Report:

" Chew were missing several key players but gave a good account of themselves in a tight first half played in icy, snowy conditions. The game swung in the last 5 minutes of the half, first chew missed a penalty and then Nailsea scored on the stroke of half time. Chew were overpowered in the second half and after a fluke third goal, lost their way as Nailsea played some fine football. A final bright spot for Chew was their keeper Keen ventured forward for a corner and drove a pile driver of a shot onto the bar which Smith converted for a consolation goal. Lots of red frozen bodies in the showers afterwards. We must be mad"