Match Report
Wick Gerry Hatricks v Cribbs Vets


League Division 1


Wick Gerry Hatricks


Cribbs Vets


------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------

Match Reports

Wick Gerry Hatricks Report;

"Game played in the right spirit and on a great pitch at Cribbs. Wick goalscorers - Ross Neads x2, Gareth Clements x2, Marc Ashley, Mark Summers, Andy Summers, Paul (Raggy) Radinage & Martin Webb."

Cribbs Vets Report:

" From only having 10 on Friday afternoon, we ended up with a fairly strong squad of 14, and could have had another 6! Unfortunately, we came up against Wick, who had an even stronger squad of 14, including one of their strikers who has already scored over 20 goals this season, even though they have only played 1 league game (although they're in the semi-final of the cup)! They told me afterwards that they were missing several of their best players, including another good striker! We got off to a bad start by conceding a goal within the first 5 minutes. However, we bounced back quickly and, with our first real attack, a good move resulted in the ball falling to Singhy who fired an unstoppable shot from outside the box, which flew into the top corner of the net to make it 1-1. Within a few minutes, against the run of play, we found ourselves 2-1 up when Turns hit a great freekick to the far post where an unmarked James Pellowe headed in, despite his dodgy hairstyle! Unfortunately, that was as good as it got, as within minutes Wick struck back twice in quick succession to make it 3-2 to them after less than 15 minutes on the clock. For the rest of the half, Wick continued to dominate possession, but we defended well, with Woody holding everything together at the back as usual, and Rich Stephens, making a guest appearance in goal, making a couple of good saves (although his kicking was still as erratic as ever!). Meanwhile, at the other end, with our top scorer Coatesy being well marked, our scoring chances were few and far between. Arguably (very!), the turning point of the game came towards the end of the half when our resident ref, Lee Douglas, awarded a penalty against us for a foul by Woody, from which they scored to make it 4-2. Whilst it looked an obvious penalty, by all accounts Woody never touched the player, and he actually tripped over his own feet! Despite this setback, the half-time team talk was still positive, as we still felt we were in the game. However, this confidence soon disappeared when Wick scored again from their first real attack of the 2nd half! Thereafter, it was largely one-way traffic, as Wick continued to pile on the pressure, and they scored another 4 goals at regular intervals to make the final score 9-2. The highlight of the 2nd half for us was provided by Stan firstly by winning his first header of the season against someone twice as big as him, and then managing to run the line for 30 minutes without throwing his toys out of the pram!! In some ways, the score didn't seem a fair reflection of the game, as we didn't play badly, but Wick were, by far, the best Vets team we have played for some while, and deserved their win in a game which was played in the right spirit from both sides. "