Match Report
Red Star Republic v Chew Magna Vets


League Division 2


Red Star Republic


Chew Magna Vets


------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------

Match Reports

No Match report submitted by Red Star Republic

Chew Magna Vets Report:

" Chew travelled to Churchill to take on Red Star Republic and with it being mothers day,unfortunately the ever reliable Sam Elly could not make the game, the excitement of cards and flowers on mothers day had got the better of him. The game started with the worrying sound of nearby repeated gunshot, was this a devious plan by Red Star to distract Chew or just the local clay pigeon shoot luckily for Chew it was just the clay pigeon shoot. Chew started the better side playing some of their best football this season and could had been three up within the first 25 mins but for three outstanding saves from Red Stars keeper. The break through came following a Chew attack with the ball hitting the cross bar and where M.Smith was at hand to follow up and score from close range. The Second shortly followed when a Chew corner from D. Shore was turned into Red Stars goal by one of their defenders to give Chew an own goal. Red Star then upped their game and started to threaten Chews goal but with Chews keeper I.Devon holding on to every shot and the defence of M Nye, M.Parsons, A.Dolman and D.Jones standing firm the lead remained 0-2 and even when the keeper was beaten with a shot from just outside the box Chews cross bar came to the rescue. In the last minute of the half Red Star got their deserved goal when A.Dolman gave away a penalty which was scored. The second half started a more even encounter with only a few half chances for both teams but as the half progressed Chew started to tier and with Chews wide men of N.Dykes and S.Kembury having to drop back more this allowed Red Star to push on looking for an equaliser but with L.Hobbs and M.Smith working hard up front giving Chew an outlet,Chew always looked dangerous on the counter attack. With 10mins left Chew then sealed the game when they were awarded a free kick just inside their own half and a brilliant ball by D.Shore from the free kick over the top for F.George to run onto and beat the keeper with a glancing header. With time running out Red Star pushed forward and Chew should have increased their lead when S.Kembury had two good chances following crosses from N.Dykes and F.George and the game ended with a 1-3 win for Chew. Great game, Great spirit by two evenly matched teams. During the after match drink S.Kembury explained how unfortunately he had not scored apparently it was to do with his body angle when the ball came to him. The first was to his right foot which was his wrong foot as the ball needed to be on his left foot and that would have been his right foot then. The second ball came onto his left foot which this time was his wrong foot as it needed to be on his right foot and then his right foot would have been his right foot to shoot. Anyhow the result was the same and someone had to go and fetch the footballs. "